1. How long have you worked at MFTS? Six years ago as an independent closing agent I began my search for the best real estate title company in our area who practiced my same values in business. I found it at Mattingly Ford Title and accepted the position as Director of Business Development.
2. Explain your job titles and duties. I am charged with marketing for company growth by maintaining our current relationship with lenders and Realtors who close their real estate transactions with us, seeking out lenders and Realtors to build new relationships, educating newly licensed Realtors in our Real Estate Title & Closing 101 class as well as developing new educational programs and participating in real estate industry related events, charitable or otherwise.
3. What is one of the greatest challenges you face as the Director of Business Development? Maintaining a schedule that is time efficient to complete my work.
4. What is something you enjoy most about your job? Two things – (1) helping lenders and Realtors become more successful through our educational programs and introducing them to each other in order for them to transact more business and (2) helping to bring a successful close to a real estate transaction with satisfied buyers and sellers!
5. What makes you successful in your job? My dedication to our clients to help whenever they need me and my insistence on doing what I have always taught others in the real estate industry to do whether they were selling homes or financing homes – “At the end of the day it is only about one thing – who did you help get in a home today?”
6. During the work week, you are constantly networking and meeting new people. How do you stay organized in regards to all your contacts and marketing engagements? I believe in the KISS(keep it simple stupid) approach – always having my calendar in front of me and working from my database. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist in sales to know that you have to be constantly calling, meeting with and marketing to prospective clients to become successful in sales. You have to be conscious of your time and know when to share it with clients and know when to shut it down to recharge.
7. What do you like to do outside of work? Enjoy time with family and friends, follow the “road less traveled” in my journeys, white water raft, hike and read historical novels.
8. Who do you go to for advice? The man “upstairs” plus a mentor I have had throughout my many years in real estate.
9. What are three things you can’t live without? Freedom to travel, the ability to make choices and love.
10. If you could have any celebrity best friend, who would you choose? He would not want me to refer to him as a celebrity, but The Dalia Lama hands down. When I saw him many years ago in Louisville after he was released from exile, I was amazed not only by the feeling of peace and love that exuded from him but the compassion for all of mankind that he spreads willingly throughout the world, then and now.
Thanks for reading!
In the digital age, information is at your fingertips. You can search a specific topic and access answers within seconds. Such quick access makes our daily lives easier in so many ways, and it enhances our research, education, and social interactions. Digital resources are also a huge benefit for businesses. With mobile apps and streamlines websites, companies are able to give their clients the answers and support they need with efficiency and ease.
Here at Mattingly Ford Title, we have fully embraced the new digital world of the 21st Century. What our clients want are immediate answers to their questions, and ultimately for us to make their interactions with our business as smooth as possible. To achieve this, we had to turn to the web. We constantly strive to keep our website updated and on trend while also a utilizing smart phone web app and various forms of social media to expand our services even farther. In as many ways as we can, we try to give our clients what they have asked for through technology and web access.
With this being said, one of the most useful digital services we offer is our online fee calculator. Available on both our website and web app (see tab on website for downloading instructions), this tool can be accessed anywhere at any time. It is extremely convenient and easy to use and will save you time and work in the long run. With this online calculator, you can enter the details for your closing, and it will provide you with the flat fee for the title exam and closing costs. In addition, you merely have to enter the purchase price for the property you are buying and the loan amount, and it will generate an accurate quote for title insurance that we will stand by. With this resource, you are able to tell your client, in real time and while in front of them, what they can expect to pay for their closing. There is no need to call us because all the information you need is right there – either on our website or app.
If you are one of our existing clients, please call Linda, Sharon, or Russell to get your client code in order to log into the calculator and use that from that point on. Otherwise, you can log in as a guest. Either way is very easy!
With such a useful tool as our online fee calculator, it only makes sense to try it. At Mattingly Ford Title, we truly want to make the closing process as straightforward and easy as possible so please take advantage of the resources we provide for you.
Click here to go to our website calculator: http://www.mattinglyford.com/calculator.html
Click here to obtain instructions on how to download our app: http://www.mattinglyford.com/web-app.html
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions!
As part of our new blog, we have decided to highlight a certain Mattingly Ford employee every month through our Monthly Spotlight. For these blog posts, each person chosen will fill out a Q & A sheet with questions helping us to better understand their jobs and to get to know them on a more personal level. For our very first Monthly Spotlight, please read about a long-term employee in our Louisville office and one very special lady, Lana Smith!
1. How long have you worked for Mattingly Ford?
2. Explain your job title and duties.
I am the closing manager. I run the “back room” for our company. My main focus is our clients. I try to make sure closings are moving along and CDs or HUDs are getting to the right people in a timely manner. I assign files to the paralegals and help with any issues or problems that come up. I am the contact person for our IT guy and our software company when we have any computer problems.
3. What is one of the greatest challenges you face as the closing manager?
Constant deadlines - as soon as one fire is put out, another one takes its place. Sometimes it’s a juggling act when one office is overloaded, and we need another office to help out, but we all work together and get the job done.
4. What is something you enjoy most about your job?
I really enjoy first-time homebuyers and first-time realtors. It’s fun when you get to explain something that they didn’t know or understand and then see the smile or hear the “aha” that comes with the understanding. Also, you get to share in an exciting time in their lives.
5. What makes you successful in your job?
Knowledge of the closing process, organization, lots of experience - I’ve been working in this field since 1981. But mostly it’s the people I work with - attorneys and staff. They are great.
6. Your job includes a lot of moving pieces. How do you stay organized and deal with the stress of it?
It’s "a place for everything and everything in its place." I print our calendar every morning for 3 to 4 days out so I can see what’s coming. I color code by office and personnel. Some people laugh at my “coloring,” but I can see at a glance if E-town or New Albany needs help, or if someone in the Louisville office is slammed, and I can make adjustments. I can see what files we have ready on the table and which ones we need to call on for closing instructions. Our calendar changes constantly so you have to stay on top of it to stay organized. The best stress relief is going home and watering flowers or working in my garden in the spring, summer and fall. In winter, I just have to deal with it and get through it - Lol.
7. What do you like to do outside of work?
I love to play with my 9 grandbabies. We just had our first boy on 1/13. I enjoy spending time at our cabin at Nolin Lake and especially love fishing with my husband.
8. Who do you go to for advice? Either at work or in your personal life?
At work I go to my bosses. They are knowledgeable, available and always willing to help. This business is ever changing, and they stay out in front of the changes.
9. What are three things you can’t live without?
A dog (what great friends they are), a garden (it’s therapy for me), and cheese - I love good cheese.
10. If you could have any celebrity best friend, who would you choose?
Bob Seger. I have always loved his music - it speaks to my soul. I also admire him for putting his career on hold for 18 years in order to raise his children and be a PTA dad. We would get along.
Thank you for sharing, Lana!
Residential & Commercial Transactions
Escrow Closing Services
Title Searches & Reports
Short Sale Closings/Negotiations
UCC Searches & Reports
General Expertise in Real Estate Transactions
Full Utilization of Technology
1650 UPS Dr. Ste 101
Louisville, KY 40223
1 (866) 561-8747